When I crochet on the train I find its useful to have a little stash away bag to sit in the top of my work bag. This bag means I don’t have to pack everything up when I swap trains and busses. The bag sits over my arm to enable me to crochet, even when I don’t have a seat.
In today’s post I am sharing a quick and easy sewing pattern to make your own lined travel bag. This bag can also be used as a re-usable shopping bag! This travel bag measures approximately 16″ wide and 8″ deep. The handles are approximately 16″ in length.
What you need:
- 2x 16.25″x16.25″ squares of cotton based material.
- 2x 2.5″x16.25″ strips of cotton based material.
- 1x snap lock set (optional)
- Sewing machine or needle and thread.
How to make
- Cut material into correct size.
- using the thin rectangle strip, place the wrong sides of two material strips together (right side showing) and mark out a 0.25″ seam allowance with the raw edges pinned together. Iorn flat, Sew a straight line 0.25″ in from each edge, shown in purple. Trim loose ends. This is the handle.
- Repeat step 2 with the other rectangle strip.
- Place the right sides of the material together. Fold the handle into a “U”. this will go in-between the right sides of the material. Each end should be placed 3.25″ from the edge of the side. Pin in place.
- Repeat on the opposite edge of the square. Pin the right sides together. Mark out a 0.25″ seam allowance.
- Sew a seam along each of the sides. On one edge leave 2″ un sewn to turn inside out. .
- Turn inside out, and sew remaining 2″ by hand.
- You will now need to choose an inside and outside of the bag. Fold the square with handles in half. The inside of the bag should be on the outside for now. Iorn flat and pin a 0.25″ seam allowance on the two sides of the bag.
- Sew each side, and turn inside out. The bag is now done.
- If desired attach snap lock clasps.
Your bag is now done! If you want a deeper bag you can increase the size of one side of the square, turning it into a rectangle. Make sure that you attach the handles to the 16″ side if you do this.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.
3 thoughts on “Travel Project Bag”
Great job.very useful.🌻
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! Im glad you like it.